From:
Karl Mac Mc Kinnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 1997 10:53:31 -0500
On Tue, 27 May 1997, Andrew S. Bonci, BA, DC, DAAPM wrote:

> You know I'd have the following questions about philosophizing.  I for
> one am prone to philosophizing perhaps to a fault or perhaps to some
> end-stage neurosis.  I like to philosophize it seems okay.  However, as
> of late I have been wondering ... To what extent is philosophizing
> necessary to a paleodiet-end?  To what extent is philosophizing
> necessary to diet, period?

        Have you ever watched the movie "Videodrome?"  That movie has one
great quote that defines my veiws on philosophy.  "They have one thing
that you don't have that makes them dangerious.  They have a philosophy."
        "Qui Bono?"  Every body asks that question.  "How do I benifit from
this diet?"  If we make our benifits purely carnal, that is not enough.
*MAYBE* it can because we don't restrict eating.  In most diets some
segment of the brain/body called "willpower," the ability to not eat, must
fight the brain/body matrix.  Man's carnal nature will win out.  We can't
stop shitting.  We can't stop breathing.  And we can't stop eating.
Eating less just makes more desire for food.  By alining ourselves we
bring in more then just "willpower" and set up our brain/body matrix to
resist forbiden fruits.  Some of us undoubtedly take this as a spiritual
matter.  This aligns what in Tantra is called the Trilochana (or
something like that, I'm not a trained Tantrika) into a whole of body,
mind, and spirit.

>  I vascillate back and forth between the
> tugging of the phenomenologists and the linguistic philosophers.
> Linguistic philosophy might say that philosophizing over ones diet is
> cruel and a pathology of the mind.  And any philosophizing as such is
> meaningless and only causes problems which would not exist if we
> correctly used our language about diet.  Perhaps the phenomenologists
> are correct in that my wonderings about diet allows me to find meaning
> in it.

        BLAH.  I hate phenomenology with a passion.  It's almost as bad as
Scientology.

> And in the
> final analysis, is it necessary to philosophize about diet at all be it
> paleodiet or big macs and fries?

        If you are doing something RADICALLY different then the culture
you're raised in, be it hunter/gatherer lifestyle, cross dressing, or
devil-worship, you need to understand why you are doing it.

Karl Alexis McKinnon|I live as the beasts in the fields, rejoicing in the
SP2                 |fleshly life. I favor the edible and curse the inedible.