CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
MichaelP <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 08:40:42 -0700

> Why do you say that NATO's action has not increased the
> frequency and severity of the attacks against the Albanians?
> Before the NATO intervention we didn't have the mass exodus
> of Albanians that we are now seeing. It seems apparent to me
> that NATO's action must of had something to do with this!
> Silvia

Yes Silvia!

Before NATO acted there were international observers in Kosova. In
preparation for the attack the observers were withdrawn. Before
the attack the frequency and severity of the attacks on Albanians was
smaller than it became after the attack.

I conclude that NATO's intention to attack resulted in the withdrawal of
observers whose presence helped protect Albanians.

Question?  You intend to intervene in Yugoslavia for humanitarian
purposes. Which form of intervention is known to be the more effective ?

Cheers
MichaelP