CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 01:44:04 +1000
Silvia Winowski wrote:

>Martin, another comment. One can think it is a way of making NATO
>look bad. One can also think that maybe it is a way of asserting what
>little national pride and independence they have left. In other words,
>it's their only way to fight back!

That's the standard defense for wife-bashers too isn't it? - The boss gave
me a hard time at work so I'll go home and bash the missus.

These days society is no longer prepared to accept that bashing the missus
and kids is only a "domestic" and not really anyone else's business.

>Nobody likes to be pushed around...even when they're wrong!

That sounds like an Andy Capp quote? ;-)

>Yet when any third world country or any strategically placed
>country within the geopolitical system does this...Well!....It's an atrocity
>that
>must be stopped and how DARE they raise their voice or do anything to
>defend themselves.....Hmm! It just doesn't seem right.

Let's get one thing straight, the wife basher in this analogy is *not* the
injured party. Its no use trying to drum up sympathy for pathetic
inadequate bullies by saying "Everyone does it, why pick on him?"

The issue is how to stop the errant behaviour. Now I'm willing to concede
that bombing the family home is a bit over-the-top, but I'm not willing to
accept that crimes against humanity are none of my business.

Bill Bartlett
Bracknell Tas.