CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 18:09:23 +1000
Milutin wrote:

>Two points, well three...
>
>(1)Why can't the Serb military create mass graves right now?

No reason. There is evidence that they are.

>[...] (3)The agreement Milosevic
>wouldn't sign is because it would give Kosovo "de facto independence now,
>with guaranteed de jure independence in three years".

If this is what the inhabitants of Kosovo want, what is the objection?

>The following is from the Houston Chronicle - Outlook, by Dr. Ronald L.
>Hatchett on Sunday March 28th.  This is just the last bit of it but it is
>what you need to hear.
>

>Under the [Rambouillet] agreement, "Kosovo will have a president, prime
>minister and
>government, an assembly, its own Supreme Court, constitutional court and
>other courts and prosecutors."

[...]

>Yugoslav laws would no
>longer apply in Kosovo. Neither would Yugoslavia be able to exercise police
>powers in Kosovo.

As we speak the police in Kosovo are either actively engaged in, or turning
a blind eye to, (at a minimum) mass deportation of a substantial portion of
the civilian population.  Agreeing to let the Yugoslavian state exercise
police powers in Kosovo is thus a totally bizarre idea. At best the present
police are completely corrupt and incompetent, at worst... well I shy away
from even contemplating that.

>After three years, these arrangements would be made
>permanent by the "will of the people" - not the people of the whole country
>of Yugoslavia of which Kosovo is supposedly a part, but only by the will of
>the people of Kosovo, who are mainly Albanians.

That is to say the will of the actual inhabitants of the area. You seem to
be implying that this is problematical, perhaps you could explain why? Its
a bit academic now of course, since most of the inhabitants are being
driven out of by their present government.

Bill Bartlett
Bracknell Tas.