RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 13:10:23 -0400
From: Stefan Joest <[log in to unmask]>

> In fact, I watch, that my body tends to overcome miscombinations faster
> and faster and with weaker and weaker complaints. They are mostly
> thrown out (I reported about mackerel and olives) without much symptoms.

> Well, I can't speak for cooked food currently, but some miscombinations
> mimic cooked food quite good: sugar+protein+hydrochloric acid should
> result in maillard molecules.

Let me add a remark: olive contain NO protein at all, and are mostly fat.
Mackerel is protein and fat. I don't think that a lot of Maillard
molecules are formed.

I still wonder why the body reacts so strongly to bad combinations and/or
overeating when we eat 100% raw, whereas digestion of cooked food is
generally good. Here are a few hypotheses:

1) Cooking is a sort of predigestion (tenderizes food) [of course, there
are some exceptions, e.g. animal food is for me more digestible when raw].

2) Maybe, due to a long personal history of cooked food, or due to
many generations of eating cooked, we lost part of our ability to
digest raw food efficiently.

3) Combinations whatever+fruit are bad, cooked or not, but we didn't
notice that when we ate cooked food because then, the quantity of
fruit was very little; moreover, when a food is very desirable (like
fruit), it is better digested.

4) As raw fooders, we tend to abuse fat, which is heavy to digest.
Olives, avocados, nuts... are rich in fat. Although that fat is
raw, and thus does not pose cholesterol problems, it is still difficult
to digest.

5) Is food more digestible when everything is mixed, and the nutrients
in the correct proportions, or when the foods are eaten sequentially?
To that, I have no answer (I haven't experimented yet). When eating
cooked food, I used to eat 1 mouthful of meat, 1 mouthful of rice,
1 of vegetables, then 1 of meat, 1 of rice, etc... So, everything
was mixed and the balance protein/carb was approximately correct;
whereas mackerel+olives is very heavy (too much fat), and almost
no carbohydrates.

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis