RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 12:50:00 -0400
From: Dariusz ROZYCKI <[log in to unmask]>

> Avocado is a fruit, right?

But biochemically very different from sweet or acid fruits.

> Explain to me how instinctos deal with the idea of knowing when to stop
> eating and how much to eat, would you?

In principle, you should stop when you begin to feel your stomach.
But that's hard, especially if you are used to eat a lot and/or
you want to eat until the taste change. It's a bad idea to eat until
the food becomes unpleasant to taste.

Moreover, I think that we eat more than our stomach can deal comfortably
with because we *know* that the next meal will only be 6 (or 18) hours
from now, so we have to accumulate enough reserves. Theoretically,
of course, we should only listen to our body's feelings, but that's
only theory... The Paleo eating style is more like 5 or 6 snacks:
you don't have to eat until you are full, because even if your are
not full, you don't have to worry about not having enough because
the next meal is close from now... But still, I am not able to do that
(yet?) because I have had my habits for too long.

> Well, I feel "weak" very, very often these days (I hope it's the detox);
> in fact, you could feel weak when you *overeat* as well. How do you tell
> the difference and manage to avoid eating when you're completely full and
> feeling weak because of the latter?

Sure, you can be weak because of deficiencies, or because of detoxing,
or because your body is not yet able to handle raw food. Hunger is a
combination of many different manifestations (sensation of empty stomach,
salivation, saving of energy, acuteness of sense of smell...).
The hardest part is the sensation of empty stomach. For me, it was
only after several weeks without breakfast that I began to
feel most comfortable with an empty stomach, instead of having to fill
it from early morning.

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis