RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ombodhi thoren st john <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 02:24:45 -0800
>aloha!
>        earthrisers,
>                    thank you for spreading spirulina.  at what
>temperature does the drying occur?  more precisely, what *maximum*
>temperature does the drying reach?  below body temperature?  below 110F?
> below 116F?  below 118F?  what temperature do you never exceed?  does
>spirulina gold have a different max. drying temp. than other products?

Good question. When we dry the spirulina it's hard to determine exactly the
temperature the microscopic algae gets. I mean, if we could get a
thermometer in a algae cell I could tell you. I'm not being funny either,
really. It's kind of like measuring the inside of a squash or roast in your
oven when your oven is at 350 degrees, the item cooking may only get to 275
degrees, and that would be over a designated period of time.
So... What we've done is measure for enzymatic activity and caratanoid
content to assure that we are not 'over doing it' when flash drying the
product. We've also tried freeze drying in the past and have determined
over the years that it's not more effective. with the same testing for the
more delicate phytonutrients and enzymes it has no advantage and tends to
be a less consistant product(you can also 'burn' a product by freezing it.
Although it was good for blending and smelled milder.

Spirulina Gold is dried the same low temp, flash dried way all our other
spirulina is dried. We've experimented for years. It's the end product
which is the "proof of the pudding". (sorry to sound like Bartlets Familiar
Quotations)_It's in the growing of the algae that defines it from our
regular spirulina.

Hope this helps
Barbara Duran
1-800-949-7473