RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 10:36:04 -0800
>> earthrisers, thank you for spreading spirulina.  at what
>>temperature does the drying occur?  more precisely, what *maximum*
>>temperature does the drying reach?  below body temperature?  below
>>110F? below 116F? below 118F?  what temperature do you never exceed?
>>does spirulina gold have a different max. drying temp. than other
>>products?

>Good question. When we dry the spirulina it's hard to determine
>exactly the temperature the microscopic algae gets. I mean, if we
>could get a thermometer in a algae cell I could tell you.

Welcome back Bhodi! Knowing the temperature of the air in which the
algae have been dried one would think would be enough information for
most people to be able to make some kind of informed decision or
educated guess in regards to the subject.

Speaking of algae here is a post I got from another list. I have not
checked out the two web sites mentioned but if anybody does please
report back if you come across something interesting.

>This is one for those into Microcystis and microcystins.  I happened
>to come across an interesting web site the other day which contained
>information about a bloom of Microcystis in the famous Lake Klamath
>which occurred around Sept-Oct 1996.  Lake Klamath is a well known
>site for Aphanizomenon flos-aquae harvesting which is used as an
>'alternative' health food, and its use has come under scrutiny due to
>its potential toxicity.
>Anyway, this page was put together by Dr William T. Barry and contains
>a few little articles in relation to the Microcystis bloom late last
>year. Without quoting large slabs of his text (I'll leave it up to
>those who wish to read it), can anyone provide futher details about
>the toxin produced by the strain to which Dr Barry refers and whether
>or not the strain has been collected for further study?
>The page can be found at;

>http://www.dnai.com/~algae/algae70.html

>with further information about the people involved in the "AFA"
>harvesting operations at;

>http://www.dnai.com/~algae/index.html

>Even if you are not interested in toxic cyanobacteria, I would suggest
>that these pages are an interesting read... to say the least!

Best, Peter