RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Douglas Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 03 Dec 1996 23:06:56
Ward,

I'm not trying to say that humans did not evolve in a meat-eating
mode (I think you have pretty much demolished the "Garden of Eden"
scenario).  But I have a couple of questions:

What about our dentition, why is it that we have the teeth of
herbivores?  Does this imply that meat was intended to only play a
very subordinate role in the diet, and/or that tool usage took over
this role from canine teeth?

Granted that humans (& certainly other primates such as chimps)
evolved eating meat.  Does this necessarily mean that meat is
necessary or even desirable?  I think it would be very, very
interesting to take primarily carnivorous animals (such as cats or
dogs) and raise them on an entirely vegetarian (preferably raw) diet
to see what happens. I believe that many dogs are essentially
vegetarians anyway (albeit grain-eaters) from their dog food.  Sure
humans can eat meat, but I would be very surprised if eventually
their aging rate is accelerated & diseases such as cancer show a
greater & earlier incidence.

--Doug Schwartz