RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 08:42:10 -0800
Christian:
>My question:
>Do sprouted grains contain gluten?

Tom:
If the unsprouted grain does contain gluten (wheat, oats, barley, kamut, etc.)
and the sprout is short, then the sprout will usually contain gluten. If you
let the grains sprout for a long time, and become grass (6+ days), then
generally most/all the gluten is gone. Still, some people claim sensitivity to
wheat grass, and I don't know if that is wheat allergy, gluten allergy, or
another factor at work. So, if gluten is a problem, be careful with the grasses
at first - find out if you react to them, before consuming large amounts.

Christian:
>Do celiacs avoid sprouts? (Are there celiacs here in Raw-Food)
>*IF* I have gluten-intolerance and eat a certain amount of *sprouted*
>grains, will I probably get problems?

Tom:
I hope that, if there are any celiacs on this list, they will reply to your
question.

Christian:
>Should wheat be avoided, even in sprouted form? (AFAIK the Instinctos
>say wheat is a no no, like milk.)

Tom:
I would say that the answer depends on how you personally react to it. If it
causes you problems, avoid. If no problems and you like it, then OK to have
as part of your diet. (Wheat allergy is fairly common.)

Christian:
>Do you see any problems with legumes unheated (chick peas? lentils?)

Tom:
If they are sprouted and they don't give you gas, they are OK. The problem is
that most people get gas from sprouted legumes. One way to avoid the gas is
to use spices - turmeric, ginger, possibly cumin or coriander seeds, with
the sprouts. Another way is to eat avos or other fatty food with the sprouts,
to slow down their pasage through the digestive system. If the 'tricks' above
are acceptable and work for you (i.e., prevent gas), then eating sprouted
legumes is fine. (Mung beans generally produce the least gas.) If nothing
works for you, and they give you gas, then you  should probably avoid them.
[If you can't eat gluten or legumes, you will be limited to only a few sprouts,
like almonds, sesame, sunflower, quinoa, etc.]

Tom Billings