RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 21:57:22 -0700
Axel:
>If the people of the world were to be fed instincto-style, could it be done
>sustainably?

Kirt:
This one has been bantered about before and I don't think anyone has ever
done the math involved (which is all based on arguable suppositions anyway,
but...).

Instincto lore has it that on average instinctos eat around 10-20% RAF
(Peter? Is this the figure you quoted me way back when?) which would be a
substantial reduction from a SAD. Whether such a % would be sustainable
would depend on a zillion factors, including what constitutes the RAF. If
almost 6 billion people ate raw salmon tomorrow that would be it for the
planet's salmon and even then most of the 6 billion would go without. A
similar situation with wild game. If, on the other hand, most instinctos
raised their own guinea pigs, meal worms, and grasshoppers ((most of which
could be maintained on one's plant scraps which are now composted, along
with some foragable area (guinea pigs) and perhaps grains (mealworms))),
then I don't think there would be much trouble sustainablilty-wise--at
least according to RAF.

There is _much_ more to planet-level sustainability than RAF
considerations, but the chances of instincto ever being practiced by more
than 1/100th of one percent of the world's population seems astronomically
small to me. Weirder things have happened I guess, but I can't think of one
offhand. :) What if there were almost six billion people using their own
computer/modem/phone/inet tommorow--would that be sustainable? Just
wondering...

Cheers,
kirt