From:
Jim Barron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 1996 21:49:07 -0500

When making soy sauce the soybean mixture has to be innoculated with the
appropriate microorganism.     In all of the soy sauces I've checked out,
this microorganism has been cultured on WHEAT.      Some of the wheat (if
that's what it's cultured on) is inevitably included with the innoculuum.
Thus, even thought the wheat was not INTENTIONALLY added, it's there.
Unfortunately I have found that many industry spokespeople are not aware of
such "unintended" additives - often they don't get listed or show up in the
information they have.   (Another example of this is dried bananna chips -
corn oilor cocconut oil or whatever may be used on the drying screen to
keep the chips from sticking and, of course some of this is absorbed on the
chips - but because it wasn't intentionally added it doesn't get listed
(it's like "hey, we didn't add it to the FOOD, so it doesn't count, see").

If you really want to thoroughly check  out  the soy sauce as what is used
to culture the bacteria they add.

Personally, I've learned to do it myself whenever possible (dry you own,
grow your own, etc.)    It's not that I'm all THAT sensitve, it's just
that, after 17 years of this nonsense I've started to really resent
constantly being misled and deceived and fed stuff I don't want to eat.
Who's in charge here?   What rights (if any) does the consumer have?     I
vote with my dollars whereever possible.

You don't have to contantly substitue something as close as possible to
what you can't have - just learn something new.   Easier in the long run
and just as (or even more) satisfying.

Jim Barron Chapel Hill NC