From:
Barbara Jean Kuehl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 1995 20:53:02 -0500

>Are corn tortillas considered acceptable?

I basically LIVE on corn tortillas...corn tortilla tacos, corn
tortilla pizza, corn tortilla corned beef sandwiches!  I haven't
yet found a corn tortilla with wheat in it, and I've eaten corn
tortillas from Idaho to Wisconsin.  This isn't to say that it
doesn't happen, as the previous poster on this topic recounted
her experience in Philadelphia where someone made masa with
50% flour.

The place to be especially watched for wheat flour is in corn
tortilla chips.  Read those labels carefully and ask about any
tortilla chips in the restaurants. Seems that someone got a
great idea a few years ago to put wheat in corn tortillas
because they make a finer grained tortilla (and they're not
as expensive to make, probably).  Oftentimes, when you see
tortilla 'strips' on the menu, they are made from wheat.

Always read the labels, of course, but corn tortillas are
usually wheatfree.

                                BJ