From:
"Thomas, Janet (HRD)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 1995 09:15:00 ADT

A few years ago the Celiac community in Canada was attempting to clarify
just this issue, can we get a tax deduction because we are Celiacs and
require a special and more costly diet.  Indeed, a number of the newsletters
of Celiac branches across the country announced that some of their members
had received the deduction.  However, since that time Revenue Canada has
tightened up the income tax regulations and I haven't heard of anyone
receiving the deduction recently.  When I checked it out I was told by
Revenue Canada that I would have to claim under the disability deduction and
that I could only receive that if I had a visible disability (blind, deaf,
wheelchair bound, etc) or had a disability which precluded me from working.
 Since our Celiac is a child we dropped the whole idea.

I too, would be interested in knowing if anyone in Canada has ever or is
receiving the deduction.  Do other countries allow a similar income tax
deduction?  If so, what is the rationale (maybe we could lobby Ottawa on the
same basis).

Janet Thomas, Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada