Date:
Mon, 1 May 1995 10:19:25 -0400

Iam in my late 50's and was diagnosed with Celiac Sprue more than 25 years
ago.(I have had a biopsy which confirmed that diagnosis). I have been on a
gluten free diet since that diagnosis.

When I was a child I suffered from hives that were so severe, I could not
walk or use my hands. (I still have hives but to a much lesser degree.)
Although I was tall and of normal weight for my age, I was always sallow,
tired and anemic. The doctors suspected leukemia at one time. When I was a
teenager, intestinal symptoms developed- severe constipation, gas and
bloating. These symptoms increased through the years. Doctors were none too
helpful until the diagnosis of Sprue was finally made.

Although the gluten free diet has moderated my symptoms ,they have not
disappeared. I will go through periods when I feel ok, but then will have
weeks and months when my intestinal symptoms are uncomfortably present. I
assume I have accidentally ingested something with gluten, but since my
reaction is not immediate, I can't be sure if that's the reason or what food
I had contained gluten.

I also have serveral other symptoms which I did not connect with celiac until
reading communications from other sufferers.  I do have some minimal mental
confusion (fuzziness is a good description) at times and frequently have
difficulty recalling words or names. I do find I get depressed, but the
restrictions of the diet and my physical discomfort may be the cause.  I also
developed severe and chronic nasal congestion. I have been tested for
allergies, and although the tests show a very high score for general
allergies, my specific allergies are to a small to moderate degree to almost
everything. I have been taking allergy shots for years and they give me very
little relief.

I am writing all this in response to queries about unusual symptoms. For
years I thought I was the only person with Celiac Sprue who suffered from
constipation, not the reverse situation. I can understand the confusion of
others who have atypical symptoms or who have children who don't fit the
usual pattern of people with this illness.

Laurie Levine