From:
Tina Chandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 1995 18:43:16 -0400

Hello fellow Celiac's:

I am new to this list but am already finding it informative.  I was
 diagnosed on St. Patrick's day 1994.  The biggest clue that led to the
 diagnosis was anemia, but that was not my biggest problem.  My major
 complaint had been bone and muscle pain for years.  I had been
 diagnosed with fibromyalgia (a mistaken diagnosis I think at this
 point).  After going on a gluten free diet I felt like a new person!  I
 thought, "This is wonderful -- no more pain".  Unfortunately, the pain
 returned, not quite as bad, but nevertheless, it's back.  I stay on the
 diet faithfully but I still have "flair-ups" of pain all over.  The
 pain feels like it is in my bones, joints, and muscles.  It is a times
 incapacitating.

My question to anyone/everyone is, "Is this pain associated with Celiac
 disease, or should I keep looking for yet another cause?".  I thought
 if I stayed on the diet I would no longer have this problem.  I have
 heard many mentions of the Celiac/arthritis
 connection.  Do any of you out there share this experience?  Is this
 something I will have to learn to live with (a horrible thought, I can
 assure you)?.  After being on the diet a year and a half, is it likely
 that the occurrence of pain may still diminish, or am I stuck with
 this?  At 36 years of age, I am not comfortable with the idea of
 settling to live like this the rest of my life.

Any information concerning your experiences with arthritis and possible
 connections to celiac disease is appreciated.  Suggestions for RELIEF
 would be greatly appreciated!  Also any information about Celiac
 disease as auto immune disease (not sure exactly what that means) is
 welcome.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Tina