From:
Dave Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 16 May 2015 19:03:45 +1200
Hi Eric!

You are quite right.

In fact tonight, well actually, it would have been just before 2 am Saturday
eastern time, I attempted to get into the group there with the Handiham
remote base.

One of them with a pretty nice signal did hear me, but in some fairness, I
was running the remote base with a laptop only using the built-in
microphone, not a smart way to do it, I know, but it was convenient for the
time. He really bent over backward to get my call out of the pretty heavy
QRN, and extended every courtesy he could under the circumstances.

I'll take my victories where I can get them. From listening to him, I could
tell he was somewhere in Texas, and he got enough of my call for me to be
certain it was me he heard, and that isn't easy with some chatter from Jaws
that I couldn't control racketing in now and then. It wouldn't count for a
completed contact, but I have no doubt that my afternoon of work updating
the laptop was rewarded.

73,
Dave