From:
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 2014 11:18:59 -0500
Some of my most fond memories as a ham was when I was just a kid and built a
little 2-tube transmitter, a 5u4 rectifier and a 6L6 crystal controlled
oscillator, with a linked-coupled output circuit that required unplugging
and plugging in a different tank coil when changing bands. It ran a maximum
of about 25 or 30 watts input. My receiver was a WW II military surplus
radio that had great sensitivity, but terrible selectivity. My antenna, as I
recall, was a end-fed Zepp. Man, that was so much fun! Making contacts with
my own homebrew transmitter that was made from mostly parts I scrounged from
old radios and TV sets that I found in the local dump or that a TV service
man gave me, who was also a ham. Talk about a modest station, now, that was
a modest station. In contrast, I have had some of the most expensive gear,
including an Alpha amp, and frankly, it wasn't nearly as much fun or
memorable as working stations in the middle of the night on 40 meters with
that little crystal-controlled transmitter I built myself. Those are the
memories I really cherish!

Ron, K8HSY