From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2014 15:15:04 -0600
a very large per centage of people get jobs through word of mouth rather
than a resume and particular skill set.
So that isn't uncommon really.
Skill sets of one kind or another are important weather you are blind or
not.
Where you come from and the opportunities you may or may not have had before
you were 20 really don't matter a whole hell of allot in your adult life.
It's your life and you make of it what you choose.  No one is sitting there
telling you that you can't do something because you grew up in a bad town,
didn't have allot of money or any money growing up and had limited education
opportunities as a child.
Life is hard and you make of it what you will really.  Opportunities don't
land in your lap, you have to create them more often than not and this
applies to those with means, and those without means.
Bitterness certainly won't get you very far.
Your perspective is different if you have less financial difficulty for
sure, but it doesn't change ones ability to understand the lot of others
with less.  The point that a $99 piece of software is worth 10 times that to
someone doesn't come from that person having a bit of play money, but comes
from their opinion that the product in question is more valuable to them
personally than the cost associated with it.  I know this sounds glib, but
value is not directly related to cost most of the time.
In other words, it's not all about the money, even when you don't have much
of it...and this comes from a guy who has lived on very little for years and
years and does not have a wealthy family. Agood social support network yes,
but that's because I created that support network, it wasn't given to me.
I am gainfully employed now due to creating and fostering and maintaining
that social support network on my own, not because someone tossed it in my
lap and said here, I feel sorry for you, so here's your chance.  Chances and
opportunities are created through effort and hard work...and often that
effort and hardwork is not rewarded for a long time.  it does eventually pay
out though trust me.
But if you have a super bitter negative view on the world and are constantly
looking up at what you don't have, then people will not be so ready to help
you out when the chances and opportunities you have created come knocking.
Also, typically, it is at least twice as hard for someone with a disability
to both get work, and to prove to the management that you are capable of
doing the job and not costing the company more money than someone else.  So
if you go into something thinking that you should be able to do the same as
your sited counterparts, you'll be in for a surprise.  Being blind sucks in
many many ways, and I don't think anyone would disagree with me if they are
being honest.  But, you can overcome many of the barriers through sheer hard
work, a willingness to learn and figure things out, education and personal
development.  You have to be able to offer a package that someone wants to
pay for, and whining that you never get any chances in life is certainly not
something any employer wants to pay for.
The only thing that will get you is an appointment with your local state
social wellfare office and a bitter outlook on life.

73
Colin, V A6BKX