From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2014 13:04:11 -0600
Well, there isn't really much to it.
Our local city services, IE police, fire, EMS, city works, transit and
various other agencies all use an EDACS trunking system.  The police use
provoice digital with and without incription.
All dispatch and general communications are in conventional analogue
trunking, but allot of the jucier stuff is done with provoice...and the best
stuff is incripted.
No scanner yet will decode provoice digital.  So, in order to hear the
unincripted communications using provoice with my local police department, I
have to use a commercial radio with the provoice option...then I have to
program it with the correct data which comes to me from a ham friend.  I
cannot listen to incripted comms due to the incription codes and no one
really having any external access to that info.  Anything super sensative is
done over cell phones anyway.
Either way, I have an M/A com ericson jaguar 700P commercial hand held to
listen to both conventional and provoice comms...it's a heavy duty mill spec
water proof, impact resistent HT which is also used by our local Fire
department.  Transmit is disabled of course...a few grand brand new, but I
got it for just over 200 on ebay.
There is also the LPE-200 which is a much smaller compact HT with provoice
capability...though the provoice option has to be installed for it to work.
Anyway, these commercial HT's make good scanners because they are so
durable...their scan rate is a bit slower than an actual scanner, but they
also have amazing receivers because they are built specifically for the
frequencies they work on.
A scanner tends to be a bit deaf because it has such a wide receive
capability.
My 700P will receive digital 6 floors below ground where my scanner can't
even hear the conventional comms.

73
Colin, V A6BKX