From:
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2014 09:45:31 -0500
I owned a Viking II many, many years ago, around 1964. It was a solid work
horse. I remember reading about a way of driving the Viking II with a
Central Labs SSB 10a or 10b exciter and using it on sideband. The trick was
adjusting the grid current or something to run the Viking II finals in Class
AB1, as I recall, to be able to use it on SSB. The finals in the Viking II
normally ran in Class C operation, of course, which doesn't work for SSB. I
wish I could remember the details of how I did that now, but it has just
been too many years ago. I remember that the method used was pretty
controversial at the time. I had an old local ham tell me that it couldn't
be done, but I did it. I believe there was an article in 73 magazine that
described how to do it.

Ron, K8HSY