From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2013 16:13:33 -0400
Sylvia,

I am totally blind, and have been married to my second wife (also totally
blind) for almost sixteen years.  My first wife was also totally blind, and
although our marriage ultimately ended, our blindness wasn't the issue.

I used to think that two blind people marrying each other was the best
choice, but now I think it's more important to base the relationship on
shared values and beliefs.  Others on this list have mentioned the power
dynamics between blind and sighted partners, and I have to agree that this
can certainly become a problem if not properly addressed.  I also think that
any other issue you can name can also destroy a marriage if the partners
can't find a way to work it through.  My present wife and I have often
commented on how much easier things would be if one of us could see.
Usually, we express our frustration by saying something like "I wish I could
drive you to ..." or "I wish I could read that for you ..."  How very easily
those thoughts could turn to resentment if we didn't like and love each
other.  I just know that marriage is beautiful when it works, and awful when
it doesn't.

Steve