From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2013 15:54:05 -0400
Harvey,

One reason England can have accessible set top boxes is that they don't have
to deal with multiple methods of distributing TV programs.  Here in the US,
we have at least three different cable companies as well as two different
satellite providers, and each one has its own set top boxes, all of which
are different.  Add to that the fact that each company has multiple
generations of set top boxes, and you begin to understand the tangled mess
we have.

It goes against the grain to say it in America, but we would have been much
better off if we had picked one standard for each distribution method and
adhered to it.  Incidentally, the same problem exists with cell carriers.
If you need an example to demonstrate my point, consider the cassette, which
was developed and standardized in the mid 60s by Philips.  The cassette
remained viable until it was replaced by better technologies, but it took
about thirty years for that to happen.  Today, we have this silly notion
that we should let the marketplace decide, with the result that we keep
differently inventing the wheel.

Steve