From:
David Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2013 22:07:44 -0700
Diabetes is NOT one disease. Diabetes is a symptom(high blood glucose) that
is possibly cause by different things.

Some people who try purist in concept paleo diets experience no help in
getting off insulin. Some do get off insulin.

In my personal observations and talking to various people over the last 30
years I have noticed removing fructose and poly unsaturated fats from diets
give relief from diabetic symptoms. Excess fructose and polyunsaturated fats
is hard on the liver.

Removing those two things usually cause weight loss also. Is the relief of
diabetic symptoms caused by the weight loss or is the weight loss caused by
relief of diabetic symptoms?
The 2 big sources of fructose and poly unsaturated fats in the paleo diet
are nuts and fruit. People usually report weight loss when those 2 food
groups are removed.

Tubers are not considered "paleo" to purists, however some of the longest
lived cultures(i.e. Kitavins) use them regularly. Those cultures also have
very low fructose and poly unsaturated fat intakes.

There is  something flawed in the carbs causing diabetes theory when my
morning blood sugar(and others who have tried it) is the lowest when ALL my
calories are from white potatoes and 2 tablespoons of oil. Obviously, it is
insane and unhealthy to continue a 'potatoes diet" beyond a few weeks.
However, Not all carbs are the same! Glucose and fructose operate on the
body in a different manner.
-David

 From: Ben Liberman

That being said, I agree with your doctor that you may need more fat in your
diet.  My personal target is 60-80% of calories from fat which, in my case,
means that about half of what I eat, by weight, is fat.  Low carb paleo is a
high fat diet and not a high protein diet.

When on a Paleo (low carb) diet, if there is enough fat in your diet to meet
your caloric needs, your body will break down to fats into ketones and your
cells will convert from using glucose for fuel, to using ketones for
fuel.... but not so much if your insulin levels are too high.

If you do not have enough fat in your diet then your body will start
converting protein to sugar for fuel which will raise your blood glucose
level and increase your insulin levels. The higher insulin will prevent free
access to stored fats for fuel so your body will break down more protein and
create more glucose.

It might just be that you need a few minor adjustments to your dietary
ratios of fat/protein/carbs to get past your current sticking point. What do
you currently eat on your very strict paleo diet?