From:
Harry Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2012 16:55:02 -0400
Hi all,
Well, I've been reading posts, and folks have been talking about windows 7, both good and bad.
Now I was in the bad part of the camp about a year and a half ago. I hated it, and said I would never use it.
However, 3 things happened to change my thinking on this:
1. I actually went over to a blind friends home, and got my hands on his windows 7 machine, and it was fantastic! That search box is awesome! You just begin typing what program, or file you're looking for, and presto, there it is! Then, all you do is hit enter, and it launches, if it's a program, or, if it's a file, it pops right up!
2. Then, I heard about a tutorial put out by the great folks at national braille press. It's called windows 7 and vista explained. Now if you've ever read the xp version, you know that Sarah Morely really knows her stuff!
This tutorial is available in 5 braille volumes, or, in portabook, and on CD, from national braille press.
I ordered 1 copy, and what a tutorial it is!
Tells you everything you as a blind person could possibly want to know about how to use windows 7!
You can order it by calling national braille press at 800-548-7323, and the web site is
www.nbp.org
3. Also, windows 7 is not only available in 32 bit, but in 64 bit! Now what's so special about 64 bit windows 7? Well, are ya ready for this folks? If someone has a windows 7 64 bit machine, if the motherboard supports it, you can put up to, are you sitting down? You can put up to 128 gig of ram, you're not hearing things, 128 gig of ram!
I'm still waiting to talk with someone with, or go over and see, here in my town, a machine running windows 7 64 bit, with 128 gig of ram! I bet it just flys!
I'm still using my xp machine, but I will be, eventually, upgrading to windows 7, and no longer am I afraid of it.
73,
Trippy, ac8s