From:
Richard Fiorello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2011 18:11:30 -0400
I just can't resist.  I don't think things have  dumbed down at all just
changed.  I'm not talking so much about the exams but day to day
activity.  Radio has become more and more computer dependant whether I
like it or not.  My drake tr4 back in 1973 didn't know what a menu was.
It was wonderful.
As someone else very correctly mentioned problems are made worse by the
fact that more and more hams are living in locations where antennas are
a problem.  Also the average age in many clubs is getting much older and
there just isn't that zest to tackle that 60 foot tower.
In my locality I have found that eager helpers for those projects I find
challenging aren't nearly as available as they were in yester year.
Partially because life is more busy and partially because many folks
just aren't up to the task.
The club I belong to has a number of extras who have no station and
other than limited club activity haven't operated from their own qth.
Something really dumb like a requirement to work all states prior to
taking the extra exam would start a lively debate.
The club president who teaches classes for new hams has no station or
antenna.
I don't think he is into echo link either.  Ham radio for the sake of
ham radio without ever turning on a radio is a interesting thought.

--
richard