From:
Michelle Vychodil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michelle Vychodil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2010 16:59:55 +0000

Everyone warned me about the following items in any sushi: imitation crab, soy sauce, and panko crumbs

Some people cautioned about the wasabi, ponzu sauce, eel sauce, spicy tuna, miso, sometimes hot tea is roasted with barley, some vegetables marinated in soy sauce, kampyo ( a dried gourd that's cooked in soy sauce, usually found in futomaki), unagi (eel) that has the brown sweet sauce, and masago (Capelin roe) are all suspect. Talk to the chef or look at the ingredients for these items.

I was wrong about the Grain Vinegar. It is ok due to distillation. Here is more info on all types of vinegars (http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/vinegar.html)

Several people mentioned that Whole Foods labels their sushi "wheat-free" and lists the ingredients. This is a local grocery store that I can try.

Thank you, Michelle