From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:49:17 -0600
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 11:15:43 -0600, Trish Leon <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> I don't use the microwave. ...

I'll be the odd one here and state that I do use a microwave, though
generally only for reheating leftovers.  I don't cook with it because it
doesn't heat evenly and food heated in a microwave doesn't seem to stay
hot as long as food heated some other way.  I don't defrost with it for
similar reasons -- I often get one part nearly cooked, and one part still
nearly frozen.  A sink full of warm water is a much better way to defrost
something quickly, IMO.  But for reheating a plate full of leftovers, the
microwave is hard to beat.

> If it can damage breast milk, it can damage other foods too, I suppose.

I would be more inclined to think it's the rapid heating itself that's the
problem -- the microwave just exacerbates it by producing hot spots which
heat too much, too quickly.

--
   Robert Kesterson