From:
Gary Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 08:53:36 -0500
I have both types, and my only quarrle with the switchers is rf hash.  If
your house and shack are well grounded, this is not so much of a problem.
I have the alinco dm330v (I think).  This is a variable voltage 32 amp
supply. Fan noise is nearly nonexistent.  Hash is only a problem in the am
broadcast band, and there is a control to shift the switching frequency
which helps with this.

However, If you do not ground the supply, you will get hash all over the
place.
It is rather old, but qst did a review of several switching supplies I think
in 2001 or early 2002.
I picked the alinco from that review.  It had the combination of features I
needed at the time.
There is a new supply out there which uses ultracapacitors to cover current
surges.  It is nearly pocket sized, but rated for 25 amp.  I have forgotten
the manufacturer, but it is something research, I believe.
I am going to look into it sometime soon.
Hope this ramble helped.