From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 04:48:24 +1000
Donald wrote:
>I downloaded and installed a registry cleaner called RegCure>>

By a strange coincidence, since I sent my last email on this topic off
about 1/2 hour ago, I noticed a "review site" of Regcure while I was
browsing for something quite unrelated. As the name rang a bell, I thought
I'd have a further look.

First--here's the "review" site:

http://registrycleanerhelp.org/7fjw/

It purports to be quite independent. But something didn't quite gell in my
mind.

First, there are several registry cleaners reviewed, but I've never heard
of any of them. Strange. I wonder why none of the better known ones get a
review.

Second, there's no mention of any cost.

Third, it's such a rave review in comparison with the other obscure
products, that I'm getting a bit suspicious now. Call me a Doubting Thomas
if you like. Why hasn't he compared it with the excellent reg cleaner in
JV16 Tools, for example? Or with  Microsoft's own freeware Regcleaner? Or
Donald's EasyCleaner? The reviews are extremely vague.
(eg what do some cleaners classify as "problems" while others don't. How
intrusive is each one? Does a single list of 100 MRU files count as 1 or
100 "errors"?).

Fourth (and most suspicious): the "Download your free registry scanner
here" link at the foot of the review page is none other than---yes, you
guessed it----good ole Regcure. Sure, it does say "Scanner" and not
"fixer". Still no mention of any cost. What's the use of a scanner without
a fix?

Fifth:  Here's his summary, right near the top of the page:

"So which Registry Cleaner is the best? - Our tests confirmed what everyone
has been saying all along. RegCure is by far the best Registry Cleaner out
there right now. It is super easy to use, fixed all known errors on our
test computers, and helped them run extremely fast"

Now if that isn't straightout blatant marketing hype, I don't know what is.

Now I'm wondering whether this whole "Review" site is a spurious one,
simply a clever marketing ploy.  The Home Page and About Us are less than
informative.

Looking carefully at the review, this product doesn't seem to do anything
that any number of free regcleaners don't do---except maybe for the
registry backup facility (which is available free elsewhere anyway).

I'd be steering well clear of this one, I think.

I wonder if any of our members have any more info on this one. I'd hate to
be missing out on a real gem.

Don Penlington

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml