From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2009 13:55:48 -0400
Jim Swayze wrote:
> "The fact that protein is essential for life... doesn't mean that you
> can eat it in unlimited quantities.  When you eat more protein than
> your body needs to replace and repair body parts, excess protein is
> largely converted  into glucose and burned as fuel.  It turns you into
> a sugar maker and sugar burner!  This is not desirable or healthy."
>
> Jim Swayze
> www.fireholecanyon.com

Here's an abstract from an animal study over 20 years ago.
http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/117/10/1721

This is the take-home message: "Brown adipose tissue protein content and
thermogenic capacity^ (assessed from purine nucleotide binding to
isolated mitochondria)^ were greater than control values in sucrose-fed
and protein-deficient^ animals, and the greatest levels of activity were
seen in low^ protein–fed rats with a high fat intake. The results
demonstrate^ that the changes in energy balance, thermogenesis and
brown^ adipose tissue activity that result from protein deficiency^
cannot be ascribed to changes in the level of energy intake^ or to a
specific increase in the amount or proportion of either^ CHO or fat.
They suggest that the protein-to-energy ratio must^ be the primary
influence on thermogenesis and brown fat activity^ in these animals."

There was something in today's news about brown fat's role in fighting
obesity.  There was no mention of diet, so I decided to look around, and
this abstract is what I found.  The first thing to note is that, once
again, a calorie is not a calorie.  Changes in brown fat activity cannot
be explained by changes in calories.  The second thing to note is that
protein intake needs to be controlled.  The third thing is that the
greatest activation of brown fat is seen with low protein and high fat.
Yes, it's mice, not people.  But even though there are new studies
showing the importance of brown fat activity in weight control, you can
be sure that no one will be suggesting the people try low-protein,
low-carb, high-fat diets.

Todd Moody