ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2008 10:24:12 -0600
A Living Hope

1 Peter 1:3-5.

Corinth was a city characterized by sexual immorality and other forms
of ungodliness. The believers there had once been like their fellow
citizens--filled with greed, envy, wickedness, deceit, and malice.
But now  they were new creations, indwelt by the Holy Spirit and
adopted into God's  family. The "Corinthian lifestyle" no longer
matched who they had become in Christ.

Paul reminded the believers of that city not to be influenced by
their culture or old patterns of thinking. (1 Corinthians 6:9-11).
The apostle was not warning them that they might miss out on the
kingdom. Instead, he was  encouraging them to abandon old ways, and
bring their behavior in line with who  they really were--children of God.

We, too, should know that salvation is permanent, and faith ought to
have a positive effect on our conduct. Furthermore, understanding the
basis for our salvation--namely, the finished work of Jesus Christ on
the cross--will banish fear, and fill us with hope.

We could never earn our way into God's family, nor could we pay our
own sin-debt. But our Savior willingly paid the penalty on our
behalf, satisfying divine justice and the Law's demands.
(Romans 3:25-26). To show that the sacrifice was accepted, God raised
Jesus to life, and brought Him to heaven,  where He reigns at the
Father's right hand. (Mark 16:19).

What God has accomplished--pardoning our sins, giving us a new
nature, and adopting us into His family--no one can undo. That gives
us a living hope to sustain and uplift us all our days.