C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2007 10:43:39 -1000
My grandson Case is 9 and very active. He had percutaneous
lengthening with Dr. Nuzzo last Dec and has alcohol blocks. His heels
are now on the ground and he is very active in both adaptive sports
and regular sports. I am concerned that he will wear out his joints
in childhood as I have heard many on the list say they did that.
Hopefully with the surgery that will be postponed. His DX
is  moderate spastic diplegia. He has been out of DAFOS since the
surgery except at night but he is going back into hinged ones as soon
as they are ready.
He has a personal trainer 3 times a week for strength building. He
goes to tennis either once or twice a week, just regular lessons and
does well at it but falls hard on the court which concerns me. I want
him to have more protective equipment like knee pads. There are great
ones at Sports Authority for volleyball that are only 10 bucks if
anyone wants them.
He plays soccer on Saturdays on an adaptive team. He does jujitsu
with his brother twice a week with a regular class. He has high self
esteem and does not compare himself to other kids.
Once a month there is an adaptive surf program his father is a large
part of and he goes to that. www.accessurfhawaii.org  They are trying
to expand it to other locations. He also goes to the beach regularly.
He is at a school with grass so that helps.  On most days he rides
his bike to and from school a mile and a half each way. He loves to
play basketball but there is no room for it at home so I made a small
court at my house. He is almost tall enough to start hitting the
regular size basket.
He has a wheelchair for long distances. He used to have forearm
crutches but they took them away cause they thought he was using them
too much. I'd like to see him have them again especially at school so
he can get around easier. Walking is a terrible struggle.
Last Christmas we went to Winter Park and they have an adaptive ski
program. Jason, his dad, wants to do it again but does not think he
will can afford it this year. We'll see.