From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:08:15 -0700
well....i can remember doing all that and more running a modified CB with
20W SSB output into a half wave vertical at 25 feet, and in the mobile
another modified midland mobile running 12 watts into a radioshack
bassloaded maggy mount...the conditions were absolutely killer back in the
mid 90's and in the 01 to 03 period.
I would be sitting there at around 10:00 in the evening, finishing up home
work or something, listening to channel 19, and all of a sudden I would
start hearing FM splatter coming across the AM side.
That is when western europe would start coming in, and if i  called a couple
times, usually the guys would switch over to AM and talk, or if I went up
above 40 on upper side band, they would all be blasting in from all over
europe...and during the mid to late afternoon, africa and asia would pound
in like they were just down the street on all modes.
 I was living near the alaskan boarder in the mid 90's, and we would get
absolutely stunning arora conditions in the late fall through to early
spring months.
You would get DX coming in from less then 200 miles away...truckers or
fishing boats or something, and then, two seconds later there would be
france, belgium, poland, germany  and england all coming in at 20 over S9
with 5 watts...I would imagine that 10 meters is very similar to that...and
i'll have a blast on that band now that I have the amateur ticket and the
cycle is going to be at least as good as the mid 90's cycle.
I can remember, just for fun, sticking a peace of wire about 9 feet long
into the back of an old CB and sitting outside at the picknic table and
talking dx all over the US, canada, and once in a while into europe during
the 90's....and they say that cycle wasn't even as good as the cycle of the
early 80's...
73
Colin, V A6BKX