From:
"Andrew J. Rozsa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2006 00:16:15 -0600
Hi, Bob

Appreciate the quick reply and cogent thoughts. Glad to know that
it's not the burner.

So, you think it's an overheating problem?

I have 1GB of RAM and I happily burned DVDs for quite a while.
Recently, I started doing some fancier stuff with Alcohol 120%,
WaveLab 5, DiscWelder Chrome, and SurCode. Basically, what I am doing
is "producing" DVD-Audio discs for my car's player, since only few
DVD-A recordings of my favorite artists exist. I figure, since I
already own the CDs and they had the poor judgment of going with the
competition (SACD), I can rationalize it without much guilt. ;-) I
much rather listen to 6-channel surround sound than 2 channels.

I wonder whether it's possible that one or more of these softwares
(which are all "labor-intensive") are part of or the whole problem.

I have been thinking about installing fans in front of the
hard-drives and opening the case and blowing over the opened system.
After I put together the system I ran it for a month without the box
cover. Unfortunately, the noise became quite annoying after a while.
Maybe I can find some type of sound-absorbing barrier between the box
and where I sit.

Thanks for the help, Bob.

Regards,

Andrew

At 12/29/2006 06:06 PM, you wrote:
 >Hi Andrew,
 >I run a similar system to yours but with WinXP. I have had two NEC
 >drives in it, a 2500 and a 3500 series. I think they are top notch.
 >Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see how much RAM memory your system
 >has. I'm just thinking it may affect large jobs. I only have 512MB in
 >that computer and burn DVD's & CD's with ease.  To troubleshoot and
 >eliminate the heat issue, you could temporarily open the case and aim
 >a large room fan in there. If it still shut down, that would probably
 >eliminate the heat issue. If you're concerned about peripherals
 >overloading your system, disconnect them and see if that helps. Good luck.

[...]
 >>I am running the following system:
 >>
 >>OS: Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4 (build 2195)
 >[....]
 >>Whenever I try to burn a DVD (ISO, mp3 collection, etc) lately the
 >>computer shuts down about half way through the job. It has also done
 >>that several times when I was converting large video or audio files
 >>to some other format.
[...]

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads