From:
Lou Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 20:26:44 -0400
No, Kenwood never made a TS611.  The radio that was made in that time
period was the TS670S, and it was the follow up to the TS660 and the
predecessor to the TS680S.

A blind friend of mine had the TS670S, and it was quite a nice radio,
especially if you ran it into a Mirage A1015 amplifier.  You could get a
good solid 150 watts on 6 meters that way.

Kenwood actually took a big step backwards when they made the
TS680S.  While the TS680S had full HF coverage, and it had 31 memories
(that was a lot in 1988), Kenwood fumbled the ball on both receiver design
and accessibility.  The TS680S had no provision for speech whatsoever, and
the pots for power, RF Gain, and NB level used really cheesy slide controls
that were okay when the radio was new, but quickly degraded as the radio
aged.  The HF receiver was a double conversion receiver and suffered from
insufficient rejection of signals from the FM broadcast band which was a
real problem around 17 meters and the 16 meter broadcast band.  As you can
tell, I owned a couple of them before I lost the rest of my vision, so I'm
well acquainted with their strengths and their foibles.

In my opinion, Kenwood really redeemed itself when they replaced the TS680S
with the TS690S.  The '690S is a TS450S with 6 meters added (50 watts on 6
meters).  If you are lucky enough to find one with the AT450 auto tuner
installed, and the VS2 voice synthesizer, they are a pretty accessible
radio and the receiver sounds much better than the receiver in the TS680S
did.  I still have my TS690S, which is a testament to how well I think
Kenwood did with that radio.  The TS690S was introduced in 1992, by the way.

If you find a TS690S, but it doesn't have the AT450S, don't sweat it.  Both
MFJ and LDG make tuners with Kenwood interfaces that can be controlled from
that radio, and will do nearly as well as the original AT450 auto
tuner.  They will do better, if you want to operate 160 meters as the AT450
did not cover 160 meters.

I don't think Kenwood sold very many of the TS670S radios.  6 meters wasn't
nearly as popular in the 1980s as it is today, mostly because of the
prevalence of TVI issues before a large number of people switched over to
cable TV.  In fact, there was about a 4 year period in the early 1980s,
when Kenwood didn't offer a radio at all that would operate on 6
meters--that was the time between when they discontinued the TS600S and
when they introduced the TS660.  For a while, it was the Icom IC551D, or
nothing!

There, that should give you about a 30 year history on Kenwood radios on 6
meters.

73, de Lou K2LKK

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK