From:
Lou Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 20:06:24 -0400
Hi Brett.

I can fill in some of the blanks here.  The Icom IC271 and 471 series
radios used the EX310 voice synthesizer which is extremely difficult to
find.  I ended up dumping my Icom radios because they were just impossible
to find and it turned out that buying a used Kenwood TS790A and a VS2 voice
synthesizer was the path of least resistance.  Other than the fact that
there isn't accessible documentation anywhere for the '790, it is a pretty
good radio--actually a bit more sensitive than the Icom 271H.  I never did
a comparison on the UHF side before I sent the Icoms down the road.

The Icom 271 had an optional AG20 GaAsFet preamp, and I think there was
another one available.  One could be installed in the radio, the other was
a mast mount preamp.  Unfortunately, I had neither, but the Icom 271H was
at least as sensitive as the Kenwood TS711A (I had one of those too) and a
bit more sensitive than my old Icom IC290A.

Mutek Ltd made a replacement receiver front end board for the IC271 series
radios which really brought the performance of the receiver in that radio
up to a world class radio.  Perhaps the one that you heard had one of those
Mutek frontends as they were quite popular with weak signal VHF enthusiasts.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 04:21 PM 10/4/2007 -0600, you wrote:
>You are right but I too forget the model number.  Wish I had a pair or
>better yet the Icom of that era.  The receivers were reputedly  (by
>those in my area working weak signal satellite or moonbounce)better on
>the Icom but I forget if the 271 471 had speech.  I do think that they
>had a GasFet preamp option which explains the receiver difference. =20
>

>###
>BRETT WINCHESTER
>208-639-8386
>###