ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
VIRGIE UNDERWOOD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2007 21:34:59 -0400
Hi to my echurch family,
Important message, please read to protect your dogs.
Sorry for the off topic message but it is an important message to all dog
owners.
Virgie and Hoshi

  (Below written by a vet)
This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at
MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix who ate
half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on
Tuesday.He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on
Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.
I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure
but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog
in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the
doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but....Anyway, we
contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to
give IV fluids at 1 Ã,½ times maintenance and watch the kidney values for
thenext 48-72 hours.
 The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less
than 27) and creatinine over 5 ( 1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are
monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter
and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was
over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of
fluids.
At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to
MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as
overnight care.
 He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have
continued to incr ease daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a
diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still
couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his
BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very
elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150,
skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to
euthanize.
This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins
could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very
serious risk.
Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be
toxic. Many people I know give their dogs
grapes or raisins as treats
including our ex-handler's.
 Any exposure should give rise to immediate
concern.
Laurinda Morris, DVM
Danville Veterinary Clinic
Danville , Ohio
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well presered body,
 but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting" Wow what a
ride".
Find what you need at prices you'll love. Compare products and save at MSN®
Shopping.