C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ken barber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2007 20:41:07 -0700
that is what id did. i think it has better effect that
way.

--- "Kendall D. Corbett" <[log in to unmask]>

<http://m1e.net/c?29279385-fj9HMbY1/BswA%402799490-cUT/mr53lXedw>

<http://m1e.net/c?29279385-RbrB4KQnyaGWU%402799491-rGZ7yo3RweCOk>*

<http://m1e.net/c?29279385-lKSLx8YepcXrM%402799492-PM/bvvkK09g3w>*

<http://m1e.net/c?29279385-4JaeLqztZnXAo%402799493-WCWUViZX7vc4I>*

<http://m1e.net/c?29279385-53c0FJzFjGDN2%402799494-VrHns6uEdhY5M>*

> > Click the link above to follow the /Road To
> Freedom: Keeping the Promise
> > of the ADA/, our year-long, cross-country bus tour
> promoting the
> > restoration of the ADA.   Freedom bus Check out
> the tour schedule, read
> > the blog and view photos of our journey so far
> covering more than 20,000
> > miles, 40 states and more than 60 bus stop events.
> >
> > *BACKGROUND:*
> > Seventeen years ago, Congress passed the Americans
> with Disabilities Act
> > (ADA) with overwhelming bipartisan support.
> However, in recent years, a
> > number of Supreme Court decisions have
> significantly reduced the
> > protections available to people with disabilities
> in employment settings.
> >
> > Courts are quick to side with businesses and
> employers, deciding against
> > people with disabilities who challenge employment
> discrimination 97% of
> > the time, often before the person even has a
> chance to show the employer
> > treated them unfairly.
> >
> > Indeed, courts have created an absurd Catch-22 by
> allowing employers to
> > say a person is "too disabled" to do the job but
> not "disabled enough"
> > to be protected by the ADA. People with conditions
> like epilepsy,
> > diabetes, HIV, cancer, hearing loss, and mental
> illness that manage
> > their disabilities with medication, prosthetics,
> hearing aids, etc. --
> > or "mitigating measures" -- are viewed as "too
> functional" to have a
> > disability and are denied the ADA's protection
> from employment
> > discrimination.
> >
> > People denied a job or fired because an employer
> mistakenly believes
> > they cannot perform the job or because the
> employer does not want people
> > with disabilities in the workplace are also denied
> the ADA's protection
> > from employment discrimination.
> >
> > */Passage of the ADA Restoration Act of 2007 is
> critical to restoring
> > the intent of Congress when it originally passed
> the ADA./*
> >

> > As Rep. Steny Hoyer stated when he introduced the
> ADA Restoration Act of
> > 2007 on July 26, 2007, "the point of the ADA is
> not disability; it is
> > the prevention of wrongful and unlawful
> discrimination." The courts have
> > spent an exorbitant amount of time parsing the
> question of whether a
> > person is really "disabled," when the real
> question is whether the
> > person was treated /unfairly/ on the /_basis of_/
> an irrelevant personal
> > characteristic (disability). Courts do not require
> people alleging race
> > or sex discrimination under other civil rights
> laws to first prove their
> > race or gender -- instead, they look at whether
> race or gender was the
> > basis for the adverse action. Under the ADA,
> [...]
=== message truncated ===