BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 08:37:22 -0500
From:
"Mr. John J. Callan AIA" <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
"The listserv that Ruth calls \"Pluto's spider-hole.\"" <[log in to unmask]>
Brian,

It was a very good conference.  Good job!

The significance of cost and time varies from one individual to
another depending on things you cannot control like age, experience,
location and nature of employment.  If the quality can be maintained
on each given day of the conference, go for it.  Let the membership
fend for themselves.  But, it might be a good idea to inform the
membership of less expensive lodging alternatives.  I would like an
additional day, but doubt I would take advantage of it every year.

I disagree with the proposal of a student track.  I think its
important for the students to rise to the professional level, rather
than have papers directed at them or by them.  They are apprentices,
let them listen to and be encouraged by the membership. It is the
best preservation education available, let them jump in with both
feet.  We don't eat our young; we won't let them drown. Immersion in
the culture of APT may deflate a few student's egos, but the sooner a
preservationist learns to keep his/her ego out of site, the better.
Its also a great place to find a role model.

I found the Colloquium very worthwhile.  Thanks.

-jc