From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2006 00:11:02 -0600
go to a music store, like one that sells pro audio gear, guitar center is a
good choice, buy a tube preamp "doesn't really matter the make" for around
$50 to $70, then buy a studio mike, for around $40, and then a small stand
for around $15.
at the most you will spend $125 to $140, substantially cheaper then a heil
gold line, and i will guarantee, that it will actually sound better then the
gold line if it is set up properly...that is, the levels are all set
correctly.
There is, of course, no built in PTT, but as i said in an earlier post, that
is easy enough to build, or order from a ham accessory supplier.
the gold line is nothing more then a heil studio mike, dynamic cartridge,
that you can get out of any run of the mill $40 music store vocal mike.
they put that cheap regular old cartridge into a shiny and fancy housing and
put the name heil on it, and put it on a fancy stand with a ptt, and they
sell it for an exploded price.
then, they claim that its better then anything else because of the such and
such kardioid pattern, and that its frequency response is specially designed
for the human voice, and on and on...the $40 mikes have the same specs,
almost exactly, and sometimes better specs.
the tube preamp will warm up the tone and give you gain if you need it.
probably way way more gain then you need, but its definitely a nice addition
to the line up if you are at all concerned with the audio received at the
other end.
73
Colin, V A6BKX