ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sharon Hooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 2006 22:11:48 -0600
Enclosed is a letter from Chris Gray, the President of the American Council
of the Blind.

Hello to All: I am sending to you the text of my President's Message for
June, 2006. As you will shortly understand, this message requires your
immediate attention. The closure of Web-Braille is, in a word, unbelievable.
Please read this article and take immediate action.  More to follow. Thank
you. Chris President's Message: That All May Read Except Those Who Read
Braille NLS Strikes Blow to Braille by Christopher Gray In 1998, the
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
(NLS) made its collection of braille books in electronic format available to
eligible borrowers over the internet through a program called Web-Braille.
Blind and visually impaired people could brows among thousands of titles and
download books to their Braille-aware devices such as BrailleNotes, PAC
Mates and Braille Senses or emboss them and read them in hardcopy.
Beginning in
2004, Web-Braille was used to make large numbers of braille music titles
similarly available.  This was a great service to library patrons and we in
the ACB, individually and collectively, applauded NLS for their
accomplishment. On May 11th of this year, NLS announced on the Web-Braille
web site that "Because of technical and security difficulties, Web-Braille
will be unavailable in the near future. NLS regrets the inconvenience and
will provide further information as soon as possible." While the nature of
the " technical and security difficulties " have yet to be officially
explained, it is clear that the leadership at NLS are concerned about
possible violations of "fair use" in the Chaffee Amendments of the U. S.
Copyright laws. Web Braille files are prepared in a special braille format
called "BRF" files, fully translated into contracted Braille and formatted
in the same way they appear in NLS hardcopy braille titles or as embossed on
braille paper. These files can only be downloaded by registered eligible
users who have been issued the proper user name and password by a
cooperating NLS network library. Each day that Web-Braille is down, blind
children are being denied access to Braille books that are in limited
supply; those who are deaf-blind are restricted from accessing a primary
source of reading material; and libraries are being forced to engage in
additional shipping of hardcopy braille books adding to their operational
expenses. While we understand that NLS must be responsible when it comes to
complying with copyright law, we believe that they have taken precipitous
and unwarranted action in restricting access to Web-Braille, and have taken
an extremely narrow interpretation of "fair use", thus negatively impacting
the patrons they are pledged to serve in accessing reading materials. As a
longtime devotee of audio recordings (in both an analog and digital
environment) and having worked in both the mainstream and adaptive
technology fields, I know that any individual, whether sighted or blind, can
easily acquire and use the technology necessary to convert files from one
format to another, including from BRF e-text files to mp3 audio files. The
world relies on the good will of end users, not to abuse this ability.
Certainly, users of Web-Braille have honored that commitment for the past
eight years. We will not stand by and see our access to information denied
on the basis of "it might be done someday". ACB calls on NLS to reinstate
Web-Braille immediately while continuing to work on acceptable procedures
that are not burdensome to borrowers, while assuring compliance with
copyright law.  To our knowledge, Web-Braille has not been abused by those
who it is intended to serve, and registered borrowers and the blindness
community as a whole should not be punished as if they have violated the
law. I ask each ACB member to contact their elected representative in
Congress today in Washington D.C. and ask them to use their influence with
NLS and its director Frank Kurt Cylke to urge the immediate restoration of
Web-Braille access to registered users. Congress should also take this
opportunity to clarify and assure that "fair use" for blind and visually
impaired citizens includes Web Braille and similar projects. In addition,
feel free to express your concerns to NLS Director Frank Kurt Cylke at
[log in to unmask] or at 1-800-424-8567. Let me assure you that this narrow
interpretation of the law can endanger other services being provided by both
public and private organizations wishing only to bring the joy of reading to
all of us.  The pressure you can bring on NLS and Congress is all that
stands between you and restored equal access to the written word.

Don't worry about what people think; they don't do it very often.

Steve, K8SP

Everything you need is one click away.  Make Yahoo! your home page now.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/26EolB/TM --------------------------------------------------------------------~->

Yahoo! Groups Links

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/