ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Du Bois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:10:19 -0400
Phil,
         We don't say the pledge during worship, but your post causes
me to ask you another question.  The words, "under God," were not
added until 1954 in response to McCarthyism and the communist witch
hunts of the 50s.  This means that, during world war 2, those words
were not there.  Soldiers of that day were fighting under a pledge
that simply said, "one nation, indivisible."  Now, there is talk
again of removing those words from the pledge.  Would you feel
differently about the American flag and it's position next to the
Christian flag if those words are once again removed?  I'm just curious.
         As far as Greg and I deciding anything, our denomination is
more locally run, meaning that congregations have a lot of say over
how things go.  The pastor may have his opinion, and, biblically, he
could be right, but majority will rule.  If the congregation had
voted yesterday to keep the American flag in the honored position, we
would have to accept it as the rule of the people.  The majority
supported Greg, but the veteran's all opposed him.  Actually, Greg
didn't even start this fight, one of the Veterans did so we have been
put in the position of responding, more or less.  I'd still prefer
just getting the things out of the worship space altogether.  I
suppose I'm just a wimp at heart.
Kathy