From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Dec 2005 01:32:08 -0700
I believe some of the Yaesu rigs do have frequency read out in CW the FT817
comes to mind, but i do not think any of the others do.

If you are looking for a relatively accessible all mode all band rig, look
into either an Icom IC706 mark two G, an Icom IC7000 or a kenwood ts2000.
All of these rigs have a voice synthesiser that can be added or in the case
of the 7000 is built in.  They all give frequency read out, mode of
operation, and S meter readings.  The TS2000 will also speak menu numbers
and brief menu items i believe.
If you have some usable site, the FT857 or FT897 have big enough displays
that you can expand to see well enough if you have some usable vision.
Its very unfortunate that Yaesu does not have the option for speech
synthesisers for the ft857/ft897 because both of these rigs are top of the
line transceivers.
73
Colin