ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Du Bois <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:38:20 -0500
Rhonda,
I"m speaking from personal experience here, but there is also
research to back up what I"m going to say, I guess.  The best cure
for depression isn't necessarily to say anything, but to help the
person find ways of getting their mind off themselves and into the
helping mode for others.  If a person can feel useful, so that they
see purpose for their existence, they really do begin to feel
better.  Exercise can also help depression.  I'm assuming here that
we are talking short term depression, or winter blues or post trama
blues, not long term depression which has a medical component to
it.  Talking may help, but it can also help a depressed person remain
self centered and hopeless.  then, there's the kind of serious stuff
that Phil deals with on a regular basis.  That is something else all
together again.
Kathy