Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 19:40:55 -0400
So far the discussion has focused on the issue of coconut fat whereas Don's
original message was also very concerned with the fact that coconuts are a
'seed' and therefore in one way or another probably protected by nature in
some way.  Eating all other raw seeds (grain, legumes, nuts) without
preparing them in some way is especially toxic.  Why would coconut be any
different?  Those who are native to coconut regions are most likely to
thrive on that food.  However, those, like myself, who have no such ethnic
background are less likely to be tolerant of it.  Coincidentally, recently,
after a few months going coconut free, I put a spoon of coconut oil on my
tongue and got a strong 'don't eat me' signal, if you will.   I proceded to
eat it anyways for the next few days because I had run out of other sources
of fat.  I was knocked out cold in my bed more than a couple times during
that time.  I know a few people who are not 'nutritionally aware' but claim
to have coconut allergies.