Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 05:08:37 -0400
>I eat other raw seeds and nuts too.   No grains or legumes, though (with an
>occasional exception made for raw  oats soaked in hot water).)

Just FYI, you have to go WAY out of your way for truly raw oats.  And when
you do find them, you will find that they taste and look nothing like the
oats that we have all come to know and love.  Since oats are so high in fat
for a grain, they must be steamed after the husk (i think its called) is
removed so they do not spoil on the shelf.  Steel-cut and Whole Oats have
also been steamed.  This pre-cooking process is what makes them sweet.  I
have acquired really raw oats from Jaffe Brothers and sprouted them, little
shoots and all.  It was incredibly disappointing.  They tasted like
absolutely nothing and they were impossible to swallow because of the sharp
shell.  This was actually one of the experiences that lead me to paleo
eating when I realized how unpalatable and unsuitable these foods were to my
body unless they were altered in some manner or covered in sauces, spices,
or sugar in some form.