From:
Tom Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 10:39:08 -0700
The first thing I would check is that the new "CD-burner" was set as a
'slave' when you installed it. Since you simply replaced one CD device with
another and only disconnected and reconnected the data and power cables, no
other settings other than 'slave' should be needed.

After checking this setting, when starting the computer go into the BIOS and
check to see that the new device is properly being identified as the
secondary/slave on the IDE. If you are not familiar with this procedure,
check the manual that came with your computer.

Hope this helps. By the way - the "floppy device" was actually your hard
drive. If it was your floppy drive the previous CD device would not have
worked. There is another cable going to the floppy drive, if you have a
floppy drive.

Tom Mayer

The problem is that the burner didn't work after installation, neither
reading normal discs nor burning, error message. First i wanted to add the
cdburner under the writer but found out that the two holes for the flat
cable were full - the cdwriter took one and the other was occupied by
something that seemed to be the ploppy device. Since the cables were there I
could just note how they were connected to the motherboard, the 40pin
flatcable. I removed the writer and I connected them in the same way as the
writer.
Maybe the motherboard isn't supposed to support any other device than the
original ones?  The burner is a normal new LG and the computer not so old,
about 5 years.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>