From:
Venkat Viswanathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 02:19:15 -0500
Christi Paulton's post(clipped):--

<<<< I looked in control panel to see if I could change any sound volume there,
but I found nothing>>>>

It would have been helpfull if you had mentioned whether your system has an "on board" audio or a standalone sound card installed.

normally moving computers from one room to another should not have any effect on "driver" files loaded but since you are so sure that your connections are ok I would suggest the following.

(1) in control panel double click "multimedia" icon and you will get a dialog box with audio, video, midi, cd music, devices tabs. by default the audio tab properties showing the preffered devices for playback and recording listed will open up first. if nothing is listed and the box is "greyed out" then you have a problem with drivers for your audio device.

(2) right click my computer/left click properties/device manager and then the "+" sign by the side of " sound/video/ game controllers" and see if any audio controller is listed. if yes highlight the controller and click the properties tab and then the driver tab and next the "driver file details" tab and ensure the drivers are loaded.

I am sure you will receive other suggestions from list members and hope a solution will emerge.

 Good luck and have a nice day-----Venkat Viswanathan

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>