From:
Kevin Kwan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:33:30 -0400
Well that's a difference of opinion depending on what maximum performance
you expect from any type of antenna. For instants I run a diamond 500 which
is a 17 feet long antenna that has a db gain of 11 on uhf and about 8 on
vhf. It's up about 35 feet on a small tower with a few other antennas I use
for hf. With this antenna though, I can reach out about 60 miles simplex,
and I can pick up repeaters as far as 110 miles on 2 meters. Uhf totally
sucks and the coverage isn't as extensive as vhf. It still works half decent
though so no worries about that. When I ran a little mag mount on 2 meters
with it sitting on my window sill, well simplex was out of the question and
I was noisy in to the loudest repeater in this city. Just thought I'd share
that with you. Of course I have a friend who uses a mag mount from inside,
he's got it on a window sill in his attic and he gets out pretty good. So
location is important as well. Naturally he has limitations too but oh well!